Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My daughter and her yarn!

I have a daughter. Actually, I have three daughters. They are all unique in their own ways. The daughter in question, however, is eleven years old in physical age, but she seems to be an adult when you talk to her. Today I noticed she was having a problem with some yard I had given her a few months back. It was strewn out everywhere, tangled up pretty badly, just a complete mess. I asked her if I could show her a trick. She said no, that she wanted to fix it on her own. She had been working on it for three days straight. I knew she had, I have been watching her and wondering what she had been doing with her yarn.

After some time of watching her get frustrated and agonize over this yarn, I asked her again to let me help her. I just wanted to show her a trick. So she gave me the yarn and I found and end piece and started rolling it into a ball. I did not get very far, of course, because there were so many knots and tangles. As I unraveled it, I did have to cut it in a spot, but I retied the knot so that no one could really tell that there had been a break in the yarn. I had it fixed inside of 15 minutes and she had been working for three days. She was even more frustrated. And I started to think.

How many times have we gotten ourselves into a mess, or have gotten into a mess because of someone else and God has offered through His Word to help us. Cast all of our cares upon Him right? But how many times do we try to fix it ourselves. I fixed in 15 minutes what my daughter had been trying to fix for days and was not getting anywhere. She would not have gotten it fixed and it would have gotten worse. And she does not even know how it got that way.

I think about how much stuff I have tried to fix on my own, and I end up frustrated and have even given up on things, when God is right there just asking for me to cast it onto Him so He can carry it or fix it. And everytime, EVERYTIME, when I hand it over I get immediate peace.

Now, her yarn isn't perfect anymore. There are tiny knots that will always be there because I had to fix a broken yarn. Just as many of us have been broken, we are fixed and just as good as new. No one else may be able to see our scars, but we know they are there. Instead of seeing them as something ugly or flawed, we can see them as reminders of where we were and where God has brought us from. All we have to do is cast our cares upon Him. He will take them over.

Thank You, Lord for englightening us and fixing us when we can fix things. Thank You for being there whenever life gets us down, and for waiting patiently for us when we try on our own. Thank You for carrying us through. God You are worthy! I love You! Amen

No comments: