Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Just Some Olympic Thoughts

"Gina you're going to break the t.v., stop!" as I continued to do cartwheels and roundoffs all over the tiny living room. We lived in a 925 square foot three bedroom home, so room was scarce. But I didn't care. I had just seen Mary Lou Retton win the gold medal and Ecaterina Szabo take silver. I was in heaven! This was the 1984 Olympics and Mary Lou could do things that were unimaginable - back then.

I was always a fan of the Olympics. As a child, the olympics reigned in our house - at least with me. I looked forward to it every four years. I was going to amount to something like one of those gymnasts! I was so obsessed. I even went in my front yard and practiced and practiced and practiced. For one who had no training in a gym with a coach, I did really well. I was really hoping Bela and Marta would accidentally be driving down the street and see me and pick me to go to Texas to train. Of course, that obviously did not happen. I was so let down. Well, if nothing else I did have an imagination.

Fast forward to now? The olympics still are the only show on the television during those two weeks. My husband, a former swimmer, is as into the games as I am. However, now each of us has a favorite sport and we focus on those. Even though the Olympics are on, most of the time I venture through the house getting other work done. Anyone who knows us, in this home, Swimming, Gymnastics, and Diving are the favorite sports. And this year's Olympics did not disappoint.

The underdog at the beginning, Gabby Douglas, was such a powerhouse the first week. She was performing and performing, showing everyone what she was made of. If she hadn't taken first in the trials, she probably wouldn't have been there because she was not a favorite. They said she "broke under pressure"? Really? She didn't that first week. The other amazing thing was how she gave God the glory and truly lived her testimony out. No matter what happened she had the best attitude and smile.

Even during week 2 when she was exhausted from all the gymnastic performances and had to deal with people attacking her hair and her mom on social media, she may not have performed well or to her best ability, but her smile still shown and she genuinely congratulated the other gymnasts.

Jordan Weiber was amazing as well. She did her best, and even though took fourth overall was not able to compete in the all around because only two from each country was allowed into the all around. Her heart was broken and her dreams were crushed. Yet, the media would not leave her alone. The sweet young lady was crying for all the world to see, her dreams shattered and three cameras were all in her face not giving her space. (I don't understand the insensitivity of the media!). Yet, she had smiles on the rest of the week and cheered her team on and helped lead them to a team gold. She was in everyone else's corner.

Over to swimming, Michael Phelps delivered as expected. He had a rough start, but he ended high. That swimmer we all came to love and know during the last few olympics came out during his third race and was here to stay. He went out on top, and always had something good to say about the other team mates. I thought when people lost races, they were upset and down and did not like the competition. So it was funny when one European swimmer said, "I just got beat by Michael Phelps!" and asked for his autograph.

Missy Franklin came out of nowhere and shocked us all. She was amazing!!! She has to go back and finish her senior year of high school. What an amazing swimmer. And she was always smiling, and congratulating herself. Franklin even said she wanted to be a role model for other girls.

Where does all this positivity come from? From many of the athletes of all sports I saw so much glory going up to God. Not all of them (or even all the ones mentioned), but many of them in all the sports. I genuinely felt, during this Olympics, and during a time where our country is extremely divided on the faith issue, that God sort of sent us a message saying He is still here and there is still hope. Even many who lost still gave God the glory and was smiling because they even made it to the Olympics. It was like they were saying, "I made it to the battle. I might not have been the winning soldier, but at least I prepared and came to the fight! Being chosen for the battle is just as exciting as being the winner!" I know they weren't really saying that, but that's the look on those particular athletes. Sure, they were upset that they did not win a medal, or the gold medal, but they were just so dang dong happy the whole time.

I think I, as a Christian, need to view life the same way. I've been praying, getting to know God, and studying His Word like crazy for what? Well, to get to heaven, but according to Ephesians 6 we are in a battle. So why should I whine about the devil coming after me and trying to take me and my family down? I should be happy that the Lord chose me for such a time as this! I should be happy because if I'm fighting for the Lord, I know the outcome. I only have to speak the Word and pray to fight. I only have to put on the armor of God to be prepared to fight. The armor of God is just reading, praying, and applying what the Word says in my life.

Yet, when the enemy comes in - instead of fear and crying - I need to trust in the Word that the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against it. I need to know that no weapon formed against me shall prosper and that God is great in me.

I know I have been talking about this alot lately in my blogs, but it is my battle right now. Anyone else going through this battle, I'm real quick to encourage and pray with. I have all the faith in the world about their triumph, but my own I struggle with.

I am happy. Overall, I have peace that passes understanding, and true joy. Sometimes, I just let the devil get a shot in. Well, I have been inspired. Thank you to all the Christian athletes, and those athletes with the Christian athletes who can't help but catch the contagious positivity. I have done my preparation. I have put in a lot of hard work. I might not be perfect and I might make mistakes, and I might not even be on the medal stands, but God is glorious and deserves all the glory in my life. He brought me to the battle and He will help me in it. I can be happy in knowing that God is watching over me and looking out for me!

Congrats to all the olympians for you have made it and you are all doing great jobs! You are doing your best! Finally, Thank you God! You Rock!!!

No comments: