Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Being Thankful during adversity

"I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving." Psalm 69:30

When times get hard, I sometimes think that life can't get any worse. I forget that the trying of my faith worketh patience. I think that my life is horrible (wow, I know I know). I fight really hard to not go into a depression or a "funk" but sometimes I cannot help it. I give in and cave right in there. These last two weeks have been very trying for me. During these trying times, we are easily acceptable to have a party - a pity party. "Oh poor me. Why does this always happen to me," and so on.

But then here comes God. He gets frustrated or annoyed with us I think. Because He says, "YOu think you got it bad? Come on." Then our eyes are opened to other people who we think have it all together. We see people are being unfairly accused, or mistreated, or abused, or so poor they can barely eat. We see things that we KNOW we could not handle in life. We thank God that our crosses are easier to bare. But are we really thankful? Are we really thankful for the things in our lives that God has blessed us with? Are we thankful for the little things? Are we thankful for tests and trials because they make us better? Are we thankful for the darts of the enemy because we know we are doing something right in the Lord? In general, instead of whining and having pity parties, shouldn't we be thanking God for the air we breathe and the life we have?

Well, I for one am tired of being inadequate and unthankful. I'm very tired of my whiny ways. I think I am an Israelite. I want the promised land and the blessings, but I whine and complain. So here is my goal for the next week. I am going to be thankful in all things, and I am going to not complain.

I know, my friends, that sounds like a hard thing to do, but I believe that God can help me to achieve it. He has good plans for me. He has plans to prosper me. I will think and speak what God wants for me to do. I will no longer look at my problems, but instead the fixer of the problems. I will no longer worry about things beyond my control and give it to the Lord. I will be thankful in all things.

God help me achieve this goal. Thank You Lord. To You be all glory and honor forever.

2 comments:

Jenny W said...

read a cool article in people magazine about a pastor in kansas who handed out no complaining bracelets to his congregation. put it on your right wrist, every time you complain you switch wrists. goal is to wear it on same wrist FOR 3 WEEKS!!!!!!!! he said it took him, THE PASTOR, four months to learn how to go three weeks without complaining. how humble of him, and smart of him(!) to share that with his church!

Unknown said...

Wow! I may have to try that.